Monday, January 12, 2009

The Cross in the Water

Still water: " As the deer pants for the streams of water, so my soul pants for you, O God. (vs2) My soul thirsts for God, for the living God. When can I go and meet with God?" Psalm 42: 1-2 Slow rising water: "I sink in deep mire, where there is no foothold. I have come into deep water, where the floods overflow me. Psalm 69:2 Water that hits hard:"For the waves of death swirled about me; the torrents of destruction overwhelmed me. 2 Samuel 22:5 Throughout the week, I had been praying for God to show me what to write for a new post. I could feel in my heart that the Holy Spirit was drawing me toward a topic on 'water'. Between my Sunday School class and our worship service at my church yesterday, God pulled it all together for me. During the worship service, I was singing and looking up at our screens for the words to a particular praise song. Someone had placed a background on the screen that caught my eye. It was a picture of an ocean. There was no land in sight...just water...as far as the eye could see. But out in the water stood a cross. Nothing else. Just a cross. The cross in the water... I have always loved the beach. I like to go in the summer time and lay out on the sand. I like to swim in the ocean (only in water that I can see the bottom! Afraid those small minnow-looking fish will kill me I guess!). I love to look at pictures of the ocean. But I do know that the sea can be a very dangerous thing. Water can do great damage. As I read God's word, I noticed that so many of Godly men and women compared their trials to forms of water. In Psalm 42, the Priest compares his thirst, his need, for God to a deer panting for water. Sometimes, our life is as smooth as glass. Nothing is really happening that is bad, and nothing is really happening that is good. We are just there. I find this is a time that I become most distant from God. To maintain that relationship with Him, I must put forth a daily effort to spend time with my Lord. How many days go by without a word from us or a simple "I love you" to the One who gave up His life? We must know that even in the 'still water', the cross is there. God is still waiting for that conversation we promised to get to tomorrow. I also know that sometimes, our trials gradually pile up. It's like, we can almost feel the water, or trial, rising. This is the worry and the fear we feel about what is yet to come. It is the fear of the unknown. In Psalm 69:2, the Psalmist says he sinks deep in mud where he can't get a grip. He knows the waters are coming. How often do we look ahead and worry that we won't be able to survive because we are so very deep in the mire? Perhaps addiction, constant running from God, or a never-ending feeling of worry or fear keeps you 'deep in the mire'. God wants us to know that the cross is in the water here too. God is always within our reach. I often forget about the cross to grab onto. I am to busy worrying about the rising floods around me. Sometimes, trials don't just rise; they knock you down. 2 Samuel 22:5 talks about the worst trial of all...death. People we love die. It seems to hit like a strong wave that crashes over us. But if I have learned anything about the crashing waves, I have learned that the cross is more visible here than any other place. Perhaps you are going through some form of 'water'. Maybe you are experiencing water that is smooth as glass but you are thirsty, not content with just "existing". Maybe you are stuck in a trial that is getting worse every day and you watch in fear as the water seems to rise higher and higher. Perhaps you have been hit so hard by a 'wave' of trouble, that you were completely knocked down. I have to tell you that God remains the anchor in all forms of trials. Hebrews 6: 19-20 says, "We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure. It enters the inner sanctuary behind the curtain where Jesus, who went before us, has entered on our behalf..." The cross is the one thing that will not move in any storm or wave. Psalm 107:29 says, "He makes the storm calm, so that its waves are still." So what is this cross in the water? It's giving God complete and total control your heart and then your trial. It's trusting Him that His way is the best way. It's giving up "your way" of doing things. In order to be rescued from any form of trial we have, we must look to God. This involves a relationship with Him. If you have asked Him into your life and received Him as your Saviour, He's waiting for you to begin this wonderful relationship that will change your life forever. We are living in times of hardship. We are fearful of what is to come. But, we don't have to be. I, too, have many trials in my life right now. But tonight, I will sleep peacefully. Why? Because I know there is a cross in the water... Love, Corrie My prayer for today: Lord, how thankful I am for you. You stand there in front of me throughout each trial I walk through. I have no evidence that you will leave me. Help me to see you in my trial. Help me to reach toward your power that will anchor me. Your love is the steadfast love I need every day. Thank you for continuing to show me your patience and willingness to walk with me...

0 comments: