Wednesday, March 25, 2009

The Tear Bottle

"You have taken account of my wanderings; Put my tears in Your bottle. Are they not in Your book?" Psalm 56:8

"You have taken account of my wanderings; Put my tears in Your bottle. Are they not in Your book?" Psalm 56:8
Tears. Ever wondered why we have them? Scientist tell us that our bodies secrete tears to keep the eye moist and to prevent it from drying out. Tears are also a reaction to pain of our physical body and are often a result of experiencing emotional pain as well. I even cry when I am happy sometimes! While many animals do secrete tears, many researchers say that only humans produce tears linked with emotion. Nevertheless, tears are important to us. In our society, we sometimes view crying as weak and vulnerable. We often hide our tears. We hide our emotions. We even try to hide them from God. I am not sure why God wanted me to pick tonight to write on the topic of 'tears'. While He put this post on my heart weeks ago, He waited until tonight for me to write it. Only you know why He waited. He waited for you. I hope you will find this post both comforting and motivating. I know I do... If you were to ask me one of my most favorite verses in the Bible, I would have a very difficult time because there are so many. But Psalm 56:8 is one that takes my breath away. It all began with a sermon my dad preached years ago entitled, "God's Tear Bottle." I can remember looking at that verse and reading it over and over. Here, David is praying to God when he has been seized by the Philistines. I am so thankful for Psalms because it gives us such good documentation of what all David went through. It shows him as a man that often failed God, but a man whose heart loved God and accepted God's forgiveness. Because of all of David's trials, he mentions his 'tears' several times throughout the book. In Psalm 6:6, David says, " I am worn out from groaning; all night long I flood my bed with weeping and drench my couch with tears." Many theologians even believe David battled depression. His circumstances seemed hopeless time and time again. In Psalm 56:8, David is saying that he has cried so much, no bottle could hold all his tears. But, (here's the good part!), David goes to God and asks God to put his tears in GOD'S tear bottle! Notice, David says 'in YOUR bottle'! David knew that his God cared that he was crying. David knew his God was keeping up with every single tear he cried. David believed God wrote the reason for every tear down. You are reading this because God wants you to know He cares that you cry. If you have accepted Him as your Lord and Saviour, He catches your tears. Maybe you have been crying over the death of someone you loved with all your heart. Maybe you are crying because of the baby you want to have or the child that you want to come home. Do you cry because your past keeps coming up day after day? Do you cry because you are sick and you hurt so bad, no one can understand? Maybe you cry because of a broken marriage. Perhaps you cry because of a decision you have to make. Maybe you cry because you fear the money you need may not be there. I am writing to tell you that God has caught every tear, my sweet friend. He hasn't missed one. He has sat right there beside you listening to every single word you cried. Why? Because He loves you. Wow. How comforting. I feel in my heart many of us need to know that tonight...including myself. While that is wonderful, we also have to consider one more thing about tears. Here's the question: Do we ever cry over our relationship with God? I guess what I am saying is do we care that we fail Him or put more people ahead of Him? Do we cry for those who don't know Him? Jeremiah is called 'the weeping prophet' because it broke his heart when the people of Jerusalem rejected God. This convicted me. I want my heart to be broken over those who still need to hear the gospel. I want to shed tears for those Christians who don't know about the relationship God desires with us. Listen to Psalm 119:136, "Streams of tears flow from my eyes, for your law is not obeyed." I truly feel God wanted this post to minister to us in two ways. First, I know God wants us to be comforted. There are many tears being shed for many reasons day and night, and God wants us to know that He hears us. He will come to our aide. He is a great parent and no great parent likes to see their children hurt. Second, I think He wants to remind us that while He will comfort us, are we ever crying over Him? I hope you will join me in redirecting our tears. I hope you and I will be broken over our relationship with Him and for those who don't know about Him. I believe if we begin to reach others for Him, we will see our own problems become as small as a grain of sand. May we run to Him and allow Him to take away the deep secrets that make us cry... Love, Corrie My prayer for today: Father, how you have captivated me tonight. You have shown me how much you love me yet challenged my love for you and those around me. I want to weep over my relationship with you. I ask and accept your forgiveness for the distance I have placed between us and for failing to tell those around me about you. Give me a passion for you every single day...

0 comments: