Monday, April 7, 2008

The Women of Bethel

“So then, men ought to regard us as servants of Christ and as those entrusted with the secret things of God. Now it is required that those who have been given a trust must prove faithful.” 1 Corinthians 4:1-2

What an honor and privilege it was to speak at Spa Day at Bethel Baptist Church! The Women of Bethel put much time and effort in creating a day of relaxation and pampering for the ladies of that community and beyond. But I must say that I was humbled to see such servant hood among them. As I drove home from the conference, I cried when I thought about what had taken place that day. I thought back to seeing women sitting or standing for hours just to serve others. I noticed that every manicure, haircut, facial, or massage, allowed the Women of Bethel to minister by listening, laughing, and just conversing with women who needed to be lifted up. I ,too, was one of those women who were ministered to. Tears filled my eyes when a lady knelt beside me just to rub lotion on my arms and put something under my feet to relax. I saw Jesus in those women. I saw the ultimate call God has for us as His children…to serve. This perhaps is the most difficult characteristic we are asked to do in order to mirror Christ. Spa Day showed me that becoming a servant is not solely about doing for others, but it begins in the heart so that you can do for others. That Spa Day would have been time wasted had those women not prepared their hearts first. I want God to give me the heart of a servant. I want to be humble and loving to those who are not loved or who lash out to hurt me. I want to see them the way God does. I believe that the reason this is difficult at times is because we want recognition of our service or to be apologized to by those who hurt us. None of this is owed to us. To take on the identity of Christ, we must go where we do not want to go, be silent when we want to scream, and love those who make us cry. This is His heart. This is why He came. The scripture says that ‘those who have been given a trust must prove faithful’. I value someone’s trust very much and when I read this scripture, I realized how very little I valued the trust God has placed in me to prove faithful. I fall so short. But today, I have set my eyes upon Him to help me to be the very servant He designed me to be. Again, I am so thankful for the opportunity to speak at Spa Day and for bringing servant hood to my heart’s attention. I will never forget that day because I saw my Lord in the Women of Bethel.

Love, Corrie

My prayer for today: Lord, I ask that you forgive me for taking what you have entrusted me to do for granted. Help me to have the heart of a servant. Help me to continue what you came to do on earth. Use me to minister to those who need you. Remove my pride and burden my heart for those who are crying inside and feel empty. Love them through me.

4 comments:

Sheila Lackey said...

It was our honor to serve you! And we were so blessed by your presence and wisdom. God truly blessed the message He placed on your hearts. I hope we meet again soon. I love you,
Sheila

Amanda said...

Just wanted you to know I was thinking about you today! Take care!

Devon said...

Corrie, I am really enjoying your devotions.I think I may have finally figured out this blog thing.
love ya,
Devon

Anonymous said...

Corrie,
Thank you so much for spending "Spa Day" with us. I was captivated by the message God put upon your heart for the women at Bethel. That message was for me and I thank you for sharing it. May God continue to bless you and your ministry.
Renee Green