Friday, May 9, 2008

Mothers' Day

"As for you, Solomon my son, know the God of your father, and serve Him with a whole heart and a willing mind, for the Lord searches every heart and understands the intention of every thought. If you seek Him, He will be found by you, but if you forsake Him, He will reject you forever." 1 Chronicles 28: 9 Sunday is Mothers' Day. While I am very thankful for my mother and honor her on this day, I find myself giving alot of thought as to the mother I am or want to become for my son, Canaan. I feel as though our society causes mothers to sometimes feel that giving birth is the end of our "job" and we are just needed to "find stuff" around the house or bandage up 'boo-boos' or to solve problems quickly. I have met woman who look and feel tired or used and who don't understand their value as a woman or as a mother. I must encourage all of you who read this to know that God considers women and mothers very valuable. In 1 Chronicles, David is getting ready to basically hand over his kingdom to his son, Solomon. As I read David's advice to his son, I was humbled that this great leader's only advice was to KNOW God. David tells Solomon to 'know the God of your father'. This means that David was bold about his faith in God and he gives his son the very key to his success...knowing God and having a relationship with Him. I believe that this is the greatest gift we can ever give to our children. We strive so hard to give our children a "good life". But what does that mean? Will our children remember how we told them that the key to being happy and fulfilled is to know the God who made them? I know alot of moms who work and alot of moms who work at home. Either way, our job is the same: to show our children (young and old) how to know God. David was a man who made mistakes. Many mistakes. He was human. But he is described in the Bible as a man after God's own heart. This, to me, means that he knew God's heart and wanted his heart to mirror God's. That is what I want. And most of all, I want the opportunity to lead my son to Christ one day. Do you? The way I will be the greatest mother is to have a close relationship with God and make it so appealing that my son will want the very same thing... Love, Corrie My prayer for today: Lord, thank you for blessing me as a woman and as a mother. Help me to seek you in raising my child. Even when he is old, I pray that he will remember me as a mother who put God first in her life and tried to teach him your ways. I pray for those mothers who are struggling today. Help them to move close to you. Shield them, comfort them, love them...

1 comments:

Sheila Lackey said...

Happy Mother's Day to one of the sweetest Mom's I know! I hope you had a great day!
Much Love,
Sheila