Sunday, February 1, 2009

Satisfying God's Heart

"The Lord was grieved that He had made man on the Earth, and His heart was filled with pain." Genesis 6:6

When I think about February, I always think of Valentine's Day and everything associated with it; the candy (ya'll remember the chocolate one's that came in a heart-shaped box and you never knew what was inside the middle unless you poked your finger in the bottom first?---I didn't do that. Just wondered if you did:) ); the beautiful flowers, balloons, cards, and even stuffed animals. Everything given on that special day is to show someone just how much you love them. Or, if you will, an expression of what is inside your heart. Have you ever wondered about God's heart? Does He have a heart like us and can He feel emotions? How does He feel about you and I? Well my friends, you and I are about to find out. For the month of February, my posts will pertain to 'the heart'. We will open God's word and find out what makes a heart spiritually healthy and unhealthy. But first, let's begin with the first heart that ever existed...the heart of God. If you go back to Genesis, you will find that before there was anything, there was God. Sounds like a confusing statement but it just means what it says: God was always, infinitely here. We know that He began creating the universe and the animals. Next came Adam and Eve and then, well...sin. I guess when I look back at this story, I always seemed to focus on Adam and Eve's reaction to sin. They were ashamed, hid from God, passed the blame around. But I never really thought about how God must have felt. When I read this verse (Genesis 6:6), my heart felt like it was breaking into pieces. I did not like to read that later on, when sin had corrupted what God had made, it 'filled His heart with pain'. This verse shows us that our behavior can reach the very heart of God. So very often I hear people say, "No one cares about me," or "Nobody cares what I do." God cares. This verse offers us proof that God cares about who we are, what we do, and the choices we ultimately make. This is a very important concept to improving our relationship with God. In fact, understanding that our sin effects God's heart, is crucial in growing close to Him. Our society has become a very "accepting society". I often hear politicians and key leaders speak about how 'non judgemental' America is or how we 'accept everyone' and that we 'don't judge'. We have accepted, alright. We have accepted sin and behavior that breaks God's heart, according to Genesis. Most of you know that my ministry and my passion is devoted to finding out and sharing how to have a close, personal, intimate relationship with God. Maybe you desire this closeness to God. Maybe you long to converse with Him. I know it is possible. For this month, we will be looking at how to draw close to God's heart. I feel God impressing upon my heart for us to come to the simple realization that He feels. He wants us to know that what we do does effect Him and the relationship we so desire. Even as a Christian, we must daily identify the sin that is standing between us and God. Once forgiven, we should make a conscious effort to avoid that same sinful behavior. If you desire something different with God, it will require different behavior from you. Ephesians 4: 22-24 says, "You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires; to be made new in the attitude of your minds; and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness." I think, sometimes, we want our cake and eat it to. Meaning, we want to be close to God but we would also like to get away with not having to change any of our behavior. When I worked with people battling addiction, they called this concept insanity. To them, insanity meant doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. Satisfying God's heart will not be done this way. What behaviors have made a rift between you and God? For me, I must stop asking forgiveness of not spending time with Him and change my schedule so that I can spend time with Him. What about you? Will you begin today to satisfy His heart? Do you desire to be closer to Him? I hope you will join me in satisfying His heart so that He can satisfy ours. I look forward to this month as God reveals more about the heart... Love, Corrie My prayer for today: Lord, I am so thankful for your heart. You are a God that is alive and feels so much emotion for His children. I am so sorry for allowing sin to stand in the way of a closer relationship with you. Forgive me. I want to change my behavior so that you and I can be closer each and every day...

0 comments: