Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Why Keep a Troubled Heart?

Before I begin my post, I wanted to thank the ladies of Jonesboro Baptist Church in Russellville, Alabama, for inviting me to share God's word with them on February 7. God's wonderful presence filled the room as we focused on how to examine the content of our heart and pour it out before our Father. On a different note, Shane and I will be leaving tomorrow for Boston to see my doctor. I would like to ask you to please pray for our safety as we fly and for Canaan's safety as he stays here with my parents (might want to pray for my parents too; they will be worn out by that little four-year-old, by the time I return!). And now for the post... "...For out of the overflow of the heart, the mouth speaks. The good man brings good things out of the good stored up in him, and the evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in him." Matthew 12:34-35 Have you ever said something hurtful to someone or about them, and later said, "I didn't mean what I said. I was just angry." I admit I have done this. Maybe you have too. The Bible is very clear on many things. Two examples of such clarity is the tongue and the heart. James chapter three gives us a good breakdown of how dangerous the tongue can be. We have become a society in which we must speak politically correct and never offend someone. We teach our children to say 'nice things' about others. While monitoring our mouths is important and even necessary, 'taming the tongue' begins with the out-pouring of the heart. Jesus said, in Matthew, what comes out of the mouth is only a reflection of what was is in the heart (I know. I don't like where this is going either!) Yes, He is saying that what we say (and how we act) is directly proportional to what is 'stored up' in our heart. How can you know what is stored up in your heart? You look at your conversations over a period of time. For example, when we have a heart that is full of anger, we tend to strike out at those who are closest to us; those who we think will never leave us (spouse/children/parents). When we have stored up hurt, we tend to build a very tall wall around our hearts, rejecting love from anyone, and then crying about why no one wants to be close to us. When we have stored up a heart full of anxiety and fear, our mouths pour out a constant babble of what terrible things might happen to us or our family. When we store up pride, we often say nothing to others, hoping they will figure out the meaning of the 'silent treatment' and apologize first. Storing up anger, hurt, fear, and pride all lead to a troubled heart, or that feeling of being unhappy but not really sure why. That feeling of not being spiritually content, even though you know lots of Bible verses. So, how do we get rid of a troubled heart? I found it interesting to know that Jesus gives two direct orders against having a troubled heart. In John 14:1 He says, "Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me." He doesn't say, "Try not to let your hearts be troubled." He says DO NOT!!! When I tell Canaan something and it begins with the words, "DO NOT..", he knows that what he is about to do is just not an option. We have a direct order from our Lord. I don't know about you, but I think it is worth finding out how to avoid a troubled heart. Let's go further. Jesus gives the order again in John 14:27 when He says, "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid." So the answer to getting rid of the troubled heart (and correcting our tongue and behavior at the same time) is accepting peace from God. Sounds simple. I mean, who wouldn't want to accept peace into their life, right? Sadly, some of you who are reading this post have never accepted the peace of God into your life through His son by salvation. Some of us have accepted salvation but refuse and fight God on a daily basis to keep this troubled heart. He gives us proof day after day that He loves us and can give us peace but we choose to keep the uneasy feelings. I hope you will join me in getting rid of a troubled heart. After peace through salvation, having daily peace is all about the application of His word. To find peace, apply what God's word says about your heart's stronghold. Then, take His word and put it into action in your house, your marriage, your work, your body, ... in your heart. Then, we will have stored up the good that the verse talks about and guess what? It will come out of our mouths too! Don't go to bed tonight until you have exchanged your troubled heart for a peaceful one... Love, Corrie My prayer for today: Lord, I give you my troubled heart tonight. Forgive me for holding on to it longer than you wanted me to. I want to accept your word as true. I believe in you and I believe you. Let your word be my very breath. May the words of my mouth be acceptable to you because my heart is acceptable first...

0 comments: