Sunday, April 5, 2009

The Egg Tooth

OLD TESTAMENT: "For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. Of the increase of his government and peace there will be no end. He will reign on David's throne and over his kingdom, establishing and upholding it with justice and righteousness from that time on and forever. The zeal of the LORD Almighty will accomplish this." Isaiah 9:6-7 NEW TESTAMENT: "From that time forth began Jesus to show unto his disciples, how that he must go unto Jerusalem, and suffer many things of the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and be raised again the third day." Matthew 16:21 Easter is one week away. Every year, I find myself more and more excited about Easter. As a Christian, I love to celebrate the birth of Christ, because I know, without that special night in Bethlehem, we wouldn't have a Saviour. But the day that Savior arose? Wow! The day death was conquered! The day that made it possible for me to have an eternity and be forgiven! Chill Bumps, my friends, chill bumps. So, with that in mind.... The other day, I was making Canaan one of the many snacks that I make for him a day (you moms know what I mean :-). A commercial came on "his" station and it was one of those teaching/fact things. It said that birds are born with a sharp horn-like instrument on the edge of their beaks, called an egg tooth. This tool, which is given to them before birth (while they are in the egg), enables them to crack out of their egg and hatch. It provides them a way out of a situation that they don't need to be in any longer. I must tell you, that commercial stayed on my mind all day, all night, and all weekend. When it came time for my post today, I knew God wanted me to sit down and really apply the concept of the 'egg tooth' spiritually. You see, before the foundation of the earth, God knew that there would come a day that He would provide you and I a way to be forgiven for our sins. God cannot and will not, tolerate, look at, have any part of, sin. This plan He came up with? Our own "Egg Tooth"... Jesus. It is important for us to realize the strategy behind Easter. It is even more important for us to realize the reason behind the strategy---LOVE. John 3:16 tells us this. God didn't just look at the world and decide to do something. God knew beforehand. He always knows. Just as He knew the bird would need a way out of it's shell, He knew you and I would need someone to save us from our sins. We needed a way out of Hell. The scripture at the top of the post confirms this. Before we were born, before Jesus was born, God knew the way out. I wanted us to look at the fact that the plan of the crucifixion and resurrection was set in motion before Christ walked upon the Earth. Isaiah prophesied about the plan. Jesus told the disciples about the plan.What about you? Do you realize you have an 'egg tooth'? Have you realized that you have access to the greatest gift ever given? I hope you will accept the 'way out'. I hope you will ask Jesus to forgive you for your sins and to come into your heart and save you. Oh. I almost forgot. There is another avenue to the whole 'egg tooth'. For the Christian, we continue to have a way to break free from the trials of this life. I am not saying the trials will be taken away, but I am saying we are equipped with an 'egg tooth' for the trials that come. It is the one thing Jesus left us with when He ascended: The Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit lives within the Christian and enables us to have God's attributes (fruits of the Spirit). For you see, without the Holy Spirit, I (Corrie) am nothing more than a sinner with nothing worthy to bring before my Lord. But with God's Holy Spirit dwelling with in me, I can be kind, peaceful, forgiving, merciful, loving, honorable, ... the list goes on. It is important that we know and remember the distinction. The Holy Spirit allows us to have an intimate relationship with God. It is the only way we can live in the land of the living. As the end of time draws near, perhaps you are going through a trial. Perhaps you are going through a trial that seems so dark and scary, you feel trapped and see no end to it whatsoever. I hope you will remember the 'egg tooth'. From salvation to the Holy Spirit, God never forgets to provide a way out. If He remembered it for the tiniest of animals, like the bird, He will also not forget you. May we remember our 'egg tooth' when we feel the following: " We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed. We always carry around in our body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be revealed in our body. For we who are alive are always being given over to death for Jesus' sake, so that his life may be revealed in our mortal body. So then, death is at work in us, but life is at work in you." 2 Corinthians 4:8-12. Love, Corrie My prayer for today: Father, I am so thankful for your wisdom, your power, your forgiveness, and most of all, your love. Before I was ever born, you provided me a 'way out' of my sin. I can never repay the debt I owe but because of your heart, I don't have to. Help me to remember that not only do you provide salvation, you provide strength for my trials. Help it to be enough for me...

1 comments:

Lianne said...

Corrie,
I love this post. God has completely equipped us for everything we face, before we even face it. Some days I need to remind myself that I have an "egg tooth" already in place, that I am not trapped by my circumstances. Bless you for posting what I needed today!

I can't wait for you to come to Harmony Grove in May. I need to send you directions, details, etc. soon!