Sunday, March 23, 2008

Easter Sunday Recap

We were so excited when Corrie, Shane, and Canaan finally got here Saturday. It is a tradition for them to come back to Corrie's hometown for Easter weekend and to go to church at the church she grew up in and where her dad has pastored for 30 years now (I know...isn't that amazing!?!). We always look forward to celebrating Jesus' resurrection together on Sunday morning and then gathering in the fellowship hall after church for our annual Easter Sunday meal. Corrie's aunt Nancy, uncle Lionel, cousin Taylor and his very soon to-be bride, Brittany came with Ma-maw Algie and uncle Lionel's family. It is always such a sweet time. We all don't get to see each other near enough so we look forward to these little family gatherings we have. Oh, and the food definitely doesn't disappoint, the following are a few of our faves that we look forward to every Easter: Sammy's smoked chicken, Corrie's famous potato salad, Judy's chocolate pie, and anything Aunt Nancy and uncle Lionel bring.


I thought to bring my camera so I could put some pics on here of Corrie and our family. If your like me, you love to see pictures, and I'm glad I could deliver...



This is Canaan in the sanctuary at our church. He only stopped long enough to say cheese for me and in that split second I got a decent picture...yeah, I'm good.




Here is Corrie and Shane.




Here is the fam in our "Easter best". From left to right are Corrie, Shane, Canaan, Judy, Sammy, me and Kyle.



This is the cross we set up outside our church every Easter. It is a tradition for everyone to bring flowers to put on it. I never can resist taking a picture of it...



...nor can I resist taking a picture of my favorite nephew in front of it. He's soooo cute!!!


After we finished eating and visiting with everyone at the church, we all went back to Ma-maw Judy and Pa-paw Sam's house for a good ole' fashioned Easter egg hunt. Here are a few pics of Canaan in action...


"Where's another egg Pa-paw?"



Canaan getting ready to eat one of his Easter eggs...



Perfect...now I know I'm good. Open wide Canaan!!!




I saved the best for last...Canaan with his beloved Ma-Maw Judy.


I'll have you know that after I took this picture he promptly told me and Mommy to go back inside. You see, Canaan and his Ma-Maw have a very special relationship together. They have to have their own time together apart from the rest of us, just him and his Ma-maw Judy only...and we were cutting in on that "me and ma-maw only" time. It's just so precious.

And it got me to thinking. This is actually the perfect picture of what Christ really wants with each one of us...and what we really need and want, if we only knew, with Him. I know He is always with us if we are His, but He really wants some special time set aside specifically to spend with His very own Beloved, just like Canaan needs with His Ma-maw. Yes, I am His Beloved. You are His Beloved. I love that He has the capacity to love me as if I were His only child and can give me the kind of attention like I'm the only person in the world. He does the same with each of us, its just another thing that makes Him God. Yes He wants His "Me and Katie only" time with me everyday, and I'm learning that I REALLY need my "Me and Jesus only" time everyday as well.


I love how Canaan unapologetically told me and his mommy to go inside because we were cutting in on his only time with just him and ma-maw. That one got me, and hit me hard. It sent all kinds of questions racing through my head. Questions like 'Am I as quick to tell someone who tries to cut in on my "me and Jesus only" time to hold on like Canaan did?' 'Do I really cherish that time with Him, my Beloved?' 'Is He my Beloved?' 'Do I know that I am His Beloved?' 'Do I really know Him?' 'Do I even have a clue?' I can tell you that it is no coincidence that I noticed that about Canaan and how it relates to my relationship with my Lord. This is the very thing He has been working with me on -me realizing how much He loves me. Which is hard to grasp. The harder I chase after Him and the more I spend time with Him, the more often I ask myself that last question. 'Do I really get who it is that wants me?' I don't think so, and probably won't fully until that Perfect Day.

Well, I know this wasn't your typical Easter message...but wait, He just informed me that it is. If He had not died for our sins and arose on that first Easter Sunday, we wouldn't have the chance to have our very own relationship with Him. Oh, Praise you Jesus for reminding me! Today, we celebrated Him as the Lamb slain for His Beloved, but soon we will celebrate Him as the Lion of Judah. Oh I can't wait for that party!


OK, I am realizing now that this is really long, but I was compelled to post this because it fits right in with Corrie's ministry. Thanks for finishing reading it...that is if you made it this far! I'm sorry that you had to endure through all my ramblings, I'm sure Corrie will get something good back on here soon. Are her devotionals great or what!?!



"...And I pray that you...may have power...to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ..." (Eph. 3:17-18)

1 comments:

Sheila Lackey said...

What a beautiful family! So sweet!
Thanks for the pictures Katie, and your post was NOT too long, just perfect. Thanks for sharing your heart.
(So excited about April 5)