Monday, February 18, 2008

Hands

"The wise woman builds her house, but with her own hands, the foolish one tears hers down." Proverbs 14:1 We, as women, have so many duties! Some of us are wives, mothers, work full-time jobs in an office setting or work full-time jobs as a homemaker. We have so many responsibilities. I believe that Proverbs 14:1 is worth our attention. I believe that as a believer, my first loyalty is to my God. No other responsibilty is able to be carried out effectively if this loyalty and servanthood is not present. I feel like in our society today, we as women, fail to think of our "house" as a responsiblility. It feels like a chore. When I say responsibility, I am not referring to cooking and cleaning or even writing out 'the bills'. I am referring to our responsibility to Christ in our home. Only since recently looking into this, have I truly begun to understand God's expectations for me as a wife and mother. I have realized the importance of 'my hands' in my home. Do my hands indicate anger or resentment when I am "puffed up" toward my husband or are they loving hands of forgiveness? Are my hands in too much of a hurry to do housework, instead of taking the time to read a book to my toddler? And most of all, will my husband and my child remember my hands holding God's word or another book of no importance? Just as the Proverb says, I believe our hands can build a solid foundation or tear it down into ruins. May God help and direct our hands... Love, Corrie My prayer for today: Lord, thank you for revealing the importance of my hands in my household. I know I have failed you and "tore it down" in the past. I want my hands to be your hands. Please touch my home and make it a place for you to dwell in and a safe haven for me, my husband, and my son. Thank you for the opportunity of being a wife and a mother. I will not take it for granted...

3 comments:

Sheila Lackey said...

Corrie,
I have never had the pleasure of actually seeing your sweet hands, but I know what they look like. They look like the hands of a servant, because you have served me on so many occasions. They look like hands that love, because you have loved me, someone you don't even "really" know. They are hand that are raised to heaven to worship a holy God. I know this because you have rejoiced with me so many times when God has answered my prayers. What beautiful hands they are! I can't wait to see these hands myself this spring as you serve the Women of Bethel. Thank you so much for your encouraging words and revealing the importance of my hands in my home. I pray for you daily and love you more than you know.

Sheila

Anonymous said...

Corrie,
Thank you for these encouraging words. I really needed this today. Society does place so much on mothers and it is not fair. We do have to focus on our God and everything else will fall into place. Thanks for sharing this today.

Amber

jennyhope said...

I was just discussing this verse with someone the other day and I think our words play such an important role in the building up or tearing down.

I have had to get on my face several times this week just to beg God to give me wisdom and more more more of His Spirit to help me be who He has called me to be. Sometimes my hardest thing is just waiting on Him. Such a good post!