Saturday, February 23, 2008

Wrestling

"How long must I wrestle with my thoughts and every day have sorrow in my heart? Psalm 13:2 The Lord laid this verse on my heart tonight. So many of God's children are going through very difficult situations, struggles, and decisions. How frustrating it is to lay down at night and know that you need to sleep but your mind doesn't seem to stop. Our thoughts can consume us. Why, instead of laying our thoughts down at the feet of our Saviour, do we wrestle with them? I have often wondered why I continue to be emotionally, mentally, and physically tired when God offers me "rest". It is that I 'choose' to wrestle. God has never let me down or failed me in any way. I have come to realize that this resistance to lay my thoughts down with Him is due to pride and not knowing Him as well as I should. Since I have been diagnosed with my disease, I have had to work daily on giving God my thoughts. If I ever stop to think about all the blockages or "high risks", my thoughts spin out of control and it places distance between me and my Father. How do we stop wrestling? We go to God and tell Him just how overwhelmed we are. Then, we remind Him of His word. We get to know Him. When you 'get to know' someone, you begin to trust them. How can we trust God if we don't know Him? When I wrestle with my thoughts, I will recall Ephesians 3:20..."Now to Him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to His power that is at work within us..." Love, Corrie My prayer for today: Father, I lift up all those that I love who are wrestling with so many thoughts that they are weary. God, they need for you to do those 'immeasureable things' that your word says that you will do. Help me to focus on you when my mind runs wild with doubt. Help me to remember that you love me and that you desire what is best for me. I know that if I wait on you, you will give the clarity that I need...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your words always touch and inspire me. You and Katie both have such a sweet spirit about you. While I'm old enough to be your mother (45), I want to take the time to tell you that it thrills my heart to see two so young with such a passion for Jesus. I get so disenchanted when I look around and see some, not all, of the youth of today. It worries me that they seem to be so self-centered and self-involved. It gives me great hope to see ones, like the two of you, with your head so squarely on. I'll be praying for your healing. God is huge........so we're going to have HUGE faith!!! He can do ALL things. May he richly bless your lives.

Much love.......Rebecca in Alabama

Sheila Lackey said...

Great post! My mind is my biggest downfall! I allow it to go places I would never physically go. Thanks for the encouragement!

Anonymous said...

Doubt...fear and mistrust, I think, must be at the root of doubt. I am so like Paul when he said, "the things I want to do, I don't and the things I don't want to do, I do" (Angel's paraphase). I don't want to doubt but I do. I want to trust but I don't. Why? What lesson am I to learn through this trial? Thank you for writing your blogs. Keep it up. I need to read the perspective of others I trust whom I know are seeking God and are spiritually sound! I love you dearly! And, thank God for putting you in my life!